Not only does gum recession affect your smile and sometimes cause painful sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures, it could also be a symptom of more serious dental issues. It is important to visit Dr. Dennis Prat in Oakland, CA to treat gum recession early for the following reasons:
- Reduces the risk of loose teeth
- Reduces the risk of root decay and damage
- Reduces the experience of sensitive teeth
- Restores your healthy smile
Gum recession is often a symptom of gum disease. Besides the impact it can have on your oral health, gum disease can add complications to already serious conditions like heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, diabetes, and kidney disease.
If you experience sensitive teeth, you notice your gums covering less of your teeth, or you notice dark or discolored areas on your teeth near the gum line, schedule a consultation with Dr. Prat to discuss treatment options.
Treatment for Receding Gums in Oakland, CA
Proper hygiene alone will not reverse gum recession. Steps must be taken to prevent further recession and Dr. Prat should be consulted to determine whether corrective treatment or gum disease treatment is necessary.
Gum recession is often treated in the following ways:
- Gum Grafting
- Pocket Depth Reduction
- The Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™)
If gum recession is caught early and no gum disease is present, Dr. Prat may simply prescribe preventative measures. These might include the following:
- Switching to a soft bristled or electric toothbrush
- Changing brushing techniques
- Discontinuing the use of tobacco products or oral jewelry
- Seeking orthodontic treatment for misaligned teeth
- Wearing a nightguard to prevent grinding and clenching of the teeth.
Gum recession can cause sensitive teeth, but it can also be an indication of more serious conditions. Contact Dr. Prat today to seek treatment for receding gums in Oakland, CA.