Gum recession can happen so gradually over time that many people are not aware they have a problem until they start to experience symptoms associated with the damage their gingival recession is causing. This condition will not go away on its own and needs to be treated professionally. Gum recession can be treated in a number of ways, including with a breakthrough procedure called the Pinhole Surgical Technique™. Dr. Dennis Prat is uniquely trained to perform this procedure and provide other options for receding gums surgery in Oakland, CA.
Gingival recession can cause gum pain and severe tooth sensitivity. Once the gum tissue surrounding your teeth has worn down, it does not grow back. The most common cause of gum recession is periodontal disease, which is a severe form of gum disease that can cause you to experience jaw bone and tooth loss over time. The effects of receding gums will impact your appearance, how you feel about yourself, and your overall oral health. It is important to seek treatment immediately.
Gum Recession Treatment Options
Dr. Prat will suggest one of the following to control and prevent your gum recession:
- Switch to a soft bristled or an electric toothbrush.
- Use proper tooth brushing techniques.
- Periodontal therapy
- This may be recommended if periodontal disease is the cause of your gum recession.
- Gum grafting
- Gum tissue from a site within your mouth, or donor tissue, is used to restore the gum volume in the areas of recession.
- The Pinhole Surgical Technique™
- A minimally invasive alternative to traditional gum recession surgery, this procedure requires no incisions, stitches, or second surgical site.
Early detection and treatment are very important to minimize discomfort and damage caused by gum recession. To learn more about the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ and other options for treating your gum recession in Oakland, CA, call Dr. Prat’s office to schedule your consultation today!