Unfortunately, your gums will not return to their proper place on their own once gum recession has begun. It is important, then, to pay careful attention to methods of gum recession prevention. Gum recession can be corrected thorough procedures such as gum grafting or the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ but if caught early, it is sometimes best to prevent further gum recession. Dr. Dennis Prat will discuss your treatment and prevention options for gum recession and help you determine what will be most effective in your individual case.
Ways to Prevent Gum Recession in Oakland, CA
Once gum recession has occurred, it is important to consult Dr. Prat about whether you need treatment for gum recession and which measures should be taken to stop receding gums. Some of the most common ways to prevent gum recession include the following:
- Brushing properly
- Gum recession can occur when people fail to brush their teeth often enough, but it also happens when people brush improperly. Overly harsh brushing or brushing at the wrong angle can cause significant damage to the gums. In addition to changing your brushing technique, a soft bristled or an electric toothbrush are recommended.
- Stop clenching or grinding the teeth
- Often, people who clench or grind their teeth do it involuntarily at night. In these cases, it is recommended that a nightguard be worn to prevent further damage to the gums and teeth.
- Seek orthodontic treatment for misaligned teeth
- Misaligned teeth can put extra pressure on different parts of your mouth. To stop receding gums, orthodontic treatment may be recommended.
- Avoid habits that irritate the gum tissues
- Smoking and wearing lip or tongue jewelry can irritate the gums and contribute to gum recession.
It is possible to stop receding gums from progressing. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Prat to discuss your treatment options and ways to prevent gum recession in Oakland, CA.